1.03.2011

Spicy Chicken Sandwich Deluxe

Spicy Chicken Sandwich Deluxe at Chik-Fil-A
B+
They don't have Chik-Fil-A in Vegas. I don't know why. But I know we should have it, because everybody tells me we should have it. I couldn't understand why people seem to go apeshit for a fast-food fried chicken sandwich, how something so simple could be so good it would inspire such a rabid following. So now I have tasted it. It's pretty good. But that's all.

This Chik-Fil-A Spicy Chicken Sandwich Deluxe was consumed in the lovely burg of Loveland, Colorado, where I spent my holiday vacation. There is a lot of fast food in this small town, and Chik-Fil-A seems to be just another joint to grab a quick bite. So the details: it's a boneless chicken breast, of course, hand-breaded and cooked in peanut oil, served on a buttered bun with lettuce, tomato, dill pickle chips and pepper jack cheese. That cheese lends a nice little kick, but the flavorful, sometimes crunchy coating is the real treat in this bite. It's much better than the seasonings you'll find at KFC or other fast food chicken outlets, and much more crispy with more spicy flavor than the spicy chicken at Wendy's.

The chicken is juicy and, as wifey puts it, "without any weird parts." It's a great chicken sandwich, actually, good enough that even though I can't get it back home in Vegas, I will wish for it next time I pull into a drive-through window and consider some fried bird on a bun.

No comments: